This article provides readers with a brief overview of what the high protein low carbohydrate diet is and how it works. Some of the main topics covered in the article will include
• What the high protein diet is
• How the diet works
• How much protein you really need
• The dangers of severe carbohydrate restriction
These days, many people are looking for dieting strategies that will help them lose weight and keep it off. While there are numerous strategies individuals can utilize to accomplish this objective, the high protein low carb diet can be particularly effective. Learn more about the low carb diet plan by referring to the quick reference guide that appears below:
What Is The High Protein Low Carb Diet?
The high protein low carb diet may sound self-explanatory, but it’s important to spell out what it consists of. This diet plan consists of eating a high volume of protein while limiting one’s intake of carbs. Sources of protein can include fish, chicken, salmon, and nuts like almonds and cashews.
How The Diet Works
There are many theories regarding why the high protein diet plan works so well. For example, some people believe that weight loss transpires not because of the switch from carbohydrates to protein as the primary energy source, but because the diet itself has less calories overall. Due to the caloric restriction of the high protein diet plan, individuals will typically lose about 1-2kg the first week due to fluid loss.
Another theory regarding why the high protein diet plan works is that restricting carbohydrates causes the body to utilize its fat stores for energy. However, without carbohydrates, fat can’t be burnt correctly. As a result, toxic compounds referred to as ketones will form, thereby causing a decreased appetite so individuals experience fewer food cravings.
Another theory regarding the efficacy of the low carb diet plan is that the increased intake of protein will help you feel fuller. As such, many people find it easier to limit their food intake. Some have argued that the simplicity of the diet makes it simpler for people to follow since they know which types of food to avoid: potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, and sweets.
How Much Protein Do You Need?
The Recommended Dietary Allowance for women is 46 grams and 56 grams for the men. The majority of Americans exceed these values. However, some weight loss professionals argue that individuals wishing to shed excess pounds should take in around 120g per day. To obtain a more customized answer regarding how much protein you should be consuming, it’s a good idea to consult with your doctor.
Does Low Carb Equal No Carb?
There are numerous diets that eliminate all carbohydrates and others that take carb intake to a dangerously low level. It’s important to know that this approach is dangerous given that carbohydrates serve an important function within the body. Specifically, carbohydrates serve as a source of fuel that the body transfers into energy. Also, carbohydrates provide people with a wide range of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that the body needs to function properly.
Potential Side Effects Of The High Protein Low Carb Diet
There are several side effects that can result from being on a high protein, low carb diet:
• Bad breath
• Lack of energy
Although this diet program can be effective for many people, there are several key concerns that professional organizations like The American Dietetic Association and The American Heart Association have drawn attention to. Some of them include:
• Your bones. The high amount of animal protein from the diet can contribute to calcium loss. If this happens, you could experience an increased risk of osteoporosis.
• Your heart. In many cases, individuals who adopt the high protein diet make liberal use of fatty meats, fried foods, and saturated fats from cream. These foods can clog up an individual’s blood vessels. Once this happens, an individual can experience an increased risk of heart disease. Over the course of time, this diet can increase an individual’s blood cholesterol values by roughly 25%. This translates into a 50% or higher increased risk of heart disease.
• Your kidneys. This type of diet causes your kidneys to work much harder, thereby accelerating the decline of kidney function in individuals who currently have kidney issues.
• Cancer risk. Diets containing a high volume of red meat are linked to increased susceptibility to colon cancer.
Who Should Avoid This Diet Plan?
Although this diet plan can work for some people, there are some people who should avoid it. This includes those who:
• Have kidney disease
• Have impaired kidney function
• Are predisposed to kidney stones
• Have gout
• Have diabetes mellitus
• Have high blood cholesterol levels
• Have high blood pressure
• Are breastfeeding or pregnant
Wrapping It Up
Individuals who are attempting to lose weight should know that the high protein diet may work for them. Review the information outlined in this quick reference guide to help you make an informed decision regarding whether this diet is right for you. Also remember to consult with a trained medical professional before you start the diet.